Thursday, November 5, 2009

Italian Beef Sandwiches

I don't know if I have expressed my profound love for my crock pot to you all. My husband got it for me for my birthday last year and received many jabs about it. Who wants an appliance for their birthday? I mean really? ME!!!! Not only do I love it, but its red, my favorite color. As a stay at home mom of 2 little ones, dinner seems like such a difficult task. I don't know about you, but by about 4:00 I am running out of steam and need to lock myself in a closet. So dinner is usually as easy and quick as I can make it. So my crock pot has become my best friend.

This recipe was sent about a year ago from a friend of my sister-in-law's, so I don't know where she got it, but whoever created it needs to be given an award! Its by far the best dang sandwich I have ever had!!! Here goes:

Italian Beef Sandwich:
2 cans beef broth
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 .7 oz packages of dry Italian salad dressing mix
3 to 5 lb chuck roast
Combine all ingredients except roast in a saucepan. Stir well and bring to a boil
Place roast in crock pot and pour mixture over the meat. Cover and cook on low
for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (depending on your crockpot). About
30 minutes before serving, take meat out and shred with a fork, return to juices in
crock pot and let it get hot before serving.
To serve:
for sandwiches I take hoagie rolls, butter lightly and toast under a low broiler
for just a few minutes till bread is lightly brown....add meat and top with a slice of
provolone or mozzarella cheese and return to broiler just till cheese begins to melt.
You can add sauteed mushrooms and or onions, peppers...whatever floats your boat!
This meat mixture is also excellent served with mashed potatoes..but just don't shred
the meat...serve it like you would a roast.
*Can be a tad salty so if you want use low sodium beef broth.

Let me just reiterate how delicious this is!!!! You will not be disappointed in any way! (Sorry for no pictures, we ate them too fast. Lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...