Monday, April 5, 2010

Homemade Light Fixture

Hi ladies! I have returned from my dungeon of crafts for my daughter's birthday. It was lots of fun, but I am sure glad its over. As a slight distraction from my busy weeks, I decided to make a new addition to our kitchen. My sister-in-law had mentioned a few years ago about seeing a light made out of a colander and for some reason that idea stuck with me. So, one day while shopping at TJ Maxx, I spotted a mini colander, squealed, and picked out the red one (because you all know about my obsession with red). It was $5.99! SCORE!!!! I then gave the vision to my husband and sent him to work. (Don't you just love how you can do that?!) Any hoo. Here's the process.

Items You'll Need:
* Colander
* Swag Light Kit w/ chain
* Canopy Kit

Step 1.
Drill into your colander, if you need to, so your light kit can fit through the holes. Luckily, this one didn't take much, and if was in the right place, so a small hole had to be made.

Step 2.
Following the directions on your kit, hook your wires onto your light socket.
Step 3.
Clip the end of the wire off and use your wire splicers to leave the wire exposed.
Step 4.
Snake your wire through the center hole of your colander. Then using the bolts and screws given in your kit, secure your light socket to your colander.
Step. 5
Find someone with some electrical experience and have them handle the actual hanging of the light. I do not have that experience so I can't give any advice. I just held onto the tools and made sure the kids didn't eat any of the parts we needed. Pretty important job I think!
And TA DA!!! Here is the end result. Its so pretty and gives off the perfect amount of light. I now need to make a new valance for that window because it just doesn't work too well together. But that will be another post!
DIY Day @ ASPTL


4 comments:

  1. What a neat idea. I love the red colander. It would go with my kitchen. I may have to try that. It's so original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a colander just like that and I LOVE it (I also have an obsession with red) but have never been able to find just the right way to use it. Now I'm thinking of turning it into a light fixture over my sink. Yours looks so cute. Stopped by from Funky Junk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! Nice DIY for sure. I've got this linked to my pendant lights post too today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...