Thursday, September 24, 2009

Finally Fall

Don't you just love fall? I love it so much, the colors changing, the warmth to it, my birthday... well, that's more a personal reason (October 20th in case you were wondering.) One of the best parts about fall is changing your decor! This year, like so many, money is tight, so there is no room in the budget for new decor. So this year I decided to work with what I have and spice things up a bit.

This is a sign that my mother-in-law got at a garage sale a few years back, they were selling these in all different colors (pretty smart idea and they are crazy easy to make! Its just a piece of wood, painted orange, and then has stenciled letters on it. Genius!) The only thing I don't like about this is that its too orange! Something needed to be done.
Here it is after I sanded the edges and the front, then I took some watered down brown craft paint and painted all over the sign. I then took a paper towel and wiped off the extra. I love it, makes it look old!
Here it is in all its glory on top of our book shelf (when you have kids all your decor moves way up high to keep your sanity in check). Oh, and have I mentioned that I love me a good pumpkin?! All shapes, sizes, colors... LOVE THEM!!!
I did the same thing with these stackable pumpkins I got a while ago. They were just too orange and so I wanted to warm them up a bit as well. I sanded the edges and used the same technique with the watered down craft paint and rubbed it off.
Here is a close up, not a great one, but you can kind of see the distressing on the corners. I did it around every edge including the faces.
I love my window, but I just haven't decided wheat to do with it yet, so for now, I hung some berry wreaths in the center and added more berries on the top. I love berries, they just look so whimsical!

This is a vintage cabinet door that was turned into a chalk board. I love me a good chalk board, and adding a little festive word on there sets the tone nicely!
The little pumpkins on the top of the shelf were from the Dollar Store! What a find!
Once again I love me some pumpkins. I just decided to frame this one on top of our kitchen cabinets with some berries.
This is a fun craft, take a terracotta pot, flip it upside down, paint it with the yellow on the bottom and white on the top to look like a candy corn.
And this was something my mother-in-law made for me a few years ago. Just take a piece of tea stained muslin, add an appliqué on it, hand stitch words and the border and then attach it to a dish towel. This is one of my favorite decorations.
I'm not sure if I'm in love with this yet, but I took an empty picture frame and then put this "Fall Angel" over the top. What do you think?


I'm not quite done, but it doesn't take a lot of money to make your house look great. Almost all of the stuff I have was on clearance or given to me.

11 comments:

  1. I love all the fall decorations. Everything looks beautiful.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started out wanting to name the decoration I really liked, but I heart them all, especially the wreaths on the window. I am really behind on getting my decorations out. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you have done such a wonderful job decorating!! Love the sweet towel and the use of real pumpkins- you get the added plus of making pumpkin pie with them later!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the berry wreaths on the windows. CUTE!! I'm so wishing that I had not left my 4 old windows I had like that in the garage at my old house!

    P.S. I was wondering if I could have your permission to "borrow" the pic of your apron to make a little button for your giveaway to put on my side bar. Would you mind?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know that I passed a blog award on to you! You can get it here:
    http://rufflesandstuff.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-very-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness gracious! I love it...all! I look at one pic and say oh, yes, I'll comment on this... then the next pic and say, oh wait, this one.. and so on until I'm finished. I can't say which I loved the best! Wonderful job!

    sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, I'm back again... LOL I like that you "roughed up" the pumpkin sign too!!!

    come see me sometime, I'd be thrilled!
    sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello sweet Kelsee - lovin' all your fabulous Fall decorations! What a difference you made with that sign. Great job. And those little pumpkins are so cute! Thank you for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many cute ideas! I am gonna have to come back and "borrow" some of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your fall decor! My dad's bday is Oct. 20 also, he will be 70! sue

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...