Sunday, September 20, 2009

Best Soup Of the Season!

I am sharing this recipe from Tracy over at Wet Oatmeal Kisses I was so stinkin' excited about it, that the second I saw the recipe I sent the husband a text message to get the stuff we needed. Let me tell you, this was HEAVEN! So good, hearty and healthy... unless you do like me and make homemade cornbread with it and slather it with butter and honey. Then, not so healthy. But I figure after the day I had yesterday (which included cleaning up numerous accidents from my potty training daughter, shutting my 8 month old son's finger in the door and making him bleed, I cried longer than he did. Rescuing my sister by taking her 3 kids for about an hour, not showering, making gifts that still aren't done... it was nuts). I needed some food for my soul yesterday and here it is!!! Enjoy!!!

Famous Zucchini Soup

The real recipe with what I do in parentheses:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (I never put this in, but you can and it is delish with it. I have put in soaked wheat to mimic the feel of hamburger and it was a success as well, but usually I never bother with any of these options and just start by sauteing the celery in a little water.)

2 C. chopped celery

6-7 C. peeled and chopped zucchini (I do 7 C and never peel it. I also just slice it, not chop it)

1 1/2 C. onions or 6 TB. dried onion

28 oz. can diced tomatoes

1 large can V-8 juice (absolutely essential – do not substitute tomato juice!)

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. Italian seasoning

1 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. basil (I always do a heaping tsp. – we love basil!)

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

2 green peppers chopped

Shredded Parmesan or mozzarella (I use Parmesan)

1. Brown hamburger
2. Add celery and cook for 10 minutes
3. Add everything else except green peppers and Parmesan and cook for 20 minutes
4. Add green peppers and cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Add cheese and serve

I cut this recipe in half as I knew I would be the only one eating it and it turned out so great! Thank you Tracy for letting me copy your recipe to my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...